Friday, November 18, 2011

Thinking in Patterns

I have always proclaimed that I have no designing skills.  And that is is traced back to my desire to avoid math problems whenever possible.

I lose track when counting simple patterns. I practically need to be in a silence chamber to handle more complicated lace and cables.

Still, this Fall, I'm finding myself picturing all the goodness and color and nature around me in knit. or crochet.  I'm wondering if there is a way to do this without having to calculate a pattern first?

In music I'd say this thing that I want to do is "play by ear" but I don't know what you call it in knitting?

There's so many amazing yarns out there in the colors I see around me, but how to capture the trees and leaves and light?

I have to admit this is a wholly new concept to me.  I've gotten "into" crafts and projects and creative pursuits before.  It's been a long time since I started dreaming about them as I drifted off to sleep.


Anyway,  here's on what's the needles now.  It's the Ionic Column Scarf by Patricia Kalthoff from the Holiday 2009 Interweave Knit Gifts issue.  I had two little puffs of Miss Babs and figured I'd test out the pattern on them.  Now my only complaint is that I don't have enough of the yarn to make this a full size scarf.  The pattern is an easy rhythm (even for my easily distracted brain) and I intend to make a full size one with some lovely lacy weight yarn I've been hiding from myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment