Monday, March 12, 2012

The Usual Way

It happened in the usual way.

I opened my mouth.

That's where all the adventures in my life start.

For several months now I've been knitting away, crocheting away and just plain playing with yarn and have the best time.

In between yarn times, I've been providing hand analysis readings for private clients, leading a group coaching adventure and meeting weekly with creative, juicy and brilliant one-to-one clients.

The work I do with these clients usually revolves around them recognizing their innate power to make their dreams come true.  So whenever a client says something like, "I wish I could get paid to...." our work starts to focus on the making it happen portion.

It was bound to happen then.

I heard myself say

"I wish I could get paid to play with yarn and create my own designs."

Sitting there with my honey and a friend, munching on organic chips and vegetables and it just slipped out.  I don't know what we'd been originally talking about to be honest - I'd been in my head trying to figure out a better use for this yarn

(Dragonfly fibers Djinni Sock: Ode to Sock Summit)


than the design I'd originally conceived.

it just wasn't working for me. and the eyelets just looked like holes.


When the two of them stopped talking and looked at me I just blurted it out.

Over the weekend I thought of a conversation with a colleague who is also a coach and intuitive.  What stuck out was our topic "Taking your own advice is hard!"

True that.


My clients trust me. When they do the work that I request of them they start to make a living doing that thing that they love.

What would happen if I just took my own advice?


  • I'll get paid to play with yarn
  • There will be a neat and useful home for all those design ideas I wake up in the middle of the night to  jot down
  • The journey - all by itself - is going to be a great adventure
  • Showing, rather than telling, is priceless for helping others live the dream they've got in their head (after all, if I can do it, so can you)
  • This is going to be more fun than even I imagine
My plan:
  •  Share the journey with you - right here at 2Knits&aP.  I'll post pictures, share the good times and the challenges and include you in the entire process.  Not because I'm the expert but because I'm a yarn-head like you.
  • Tell the story in the best way I know how.  Writing is cathartic for me and it's the best way I know to work out challenges when I come across them - there will be updates here (of course) and in the 2x monthly ezine (you can sign up in the box on the right there =>)
  • Show the cross-pollination between my life as an intuitive, a hand analyst, a coach and an ordained minister and this creative process.  I believe it's all part of the Cosmic Influence - and the process is pretty awe-inspiring.  If you start looking at your creative process differently too - that would be cool
  • Ask lots of questions and share lots of resources.  As you can see, while I spend some time in thought before taking action - I'm all about action (I have action-oriented thumbs in case you're interested).  Taking action is intimidating for lots of us.  I often jump in the deep end and then realize I don't necessarily know how to swim back to the pier.  So when I don't know what to do, I'll ask.  I'll be honest about it and I'll let you know what I learn - so you don't have to jump off the deep end alone.
There's the dream.

The big goals and interim goals are being committed to paper and I'll reveal them all to you too.  I'd love your moral support and inspiration.

No comments:

Post a Comment