Sunday, December 4, 2011

ABT and a Gaiter

I have to say I'm pretty pleased with myself.  The pattern held up in the second mitt, although it's slightly (like an 'nth') shorter than the first.  Guess I held tighter the second time round.

Now it's all over but the thumb.

I think of thumbs the way many of my Ph.D. friends seemed to think of their dissertation.  (or at least the way I think they thought about it...what with all that talk of being ABD?!)

At the moment I'm ABT (all but thumb).

Oh, and sewing in the ends.

Here it is:








It's a quick and easy knit.  I spent the last hour and half on the mitt and filling myself in on the doings at Creative Every Day which for some reason I've rarely visited.  Odd that - several of my clients are 'regulars' there and several other bloggers I follow have the little picture on their website.

Oh. That's right.  I never added it to my "official" website because even though doing intuitive advising, animal communication and hand reading is rather a creative way to make a living, I never really thought of it as creating every day.  Despite the fact that I've pitched a column on Creative Life for a local paper and am still waiting to hear back from the editor.  Frankly, I think it's such a good idea I'll just do it all myself.  (Maybe even here  - but that's a thought for another day).

************

And the Gaiter. 

When I asked my sister if her hubby liked scarves or hats, she responded that he said he likes Gaiters.  Except she spelled it gator.  And my Sweet Man had a google image fest and found pictures like the one here, and here.  While adorable, I'm pretty sure my BIL wouldn't really want.

I went to Ravelry (I'm PeggieArvidson there if you want to check in and chat there) and found several gaiters.  Some for legs and hands but I was pretty certain he was talking about the neck.  He rides his bike to/from work most days, despite the weather, and I figure worrying about a scarf whipping you in the face wasn't his idea of safe riding (he's very into safety) - so he probably wanted a warm neck without issues of visibility.

Yesterday, this Snow Day Gaiter pattern by Sue Jackson was selected, and I ran out and purchased some yarn.  The whole piece knitted up nicely during the span of my evening TV watching.  Quick and relatively easy to knit, but enough going on with the pattern to keep it from being crazy-dull. Oh.  And it's a gaiter, meant to fit around the neck - so not nearly as time consuming as a scarf!

What cha' think?


What's left for the seasonal gift giving?

  • 4 dishcloth/washcloths.  I'm making them in Dragonfly, Martini glass, Peace Sign and one that's still be determined;
  • Gray Berocco Remix scarf in a very dull (but lovely looking) K2, P2 pattern for my sweetie
  • Hat and mittens for a BFF
  • Scarf and mitts for my sis (although I may make her a gaiter too -- not in the same yarn, but the same pattern, they are sort of a matchy-cute couple, after all)
  • A gorgeous but time consuming (and rather dull) crocheted shawl for mom
  • A Notre Dame themed scarf for Dad
  • Another pair of the simple mitts for Nat;
  • Hat for Ry;
  • Gaiter for my brother
  • And an Ionic Scarf (loved that pattern) for my cousin (we have >hundreds< of us on my Mom's side, so we simply pull names out of the hat for each cousin, cousin's spouse, aunt,  & uncle)
Sure, it SOUNDS like a lot to do, but I've picked patterns I'm familiar with, yarn that I love and gauges that should knit up quickly.  (I'll let you know how my fingers and hands are feeling come December 24)

The good news is that I'll have something to post for Blogher's December challenge.  Yay for me.

What's up with you this season? Are you creating gifts? buying them, or simply waiting for the winter to be over?

No comments:

Post a Comment