Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Make Money from Your Passion - Or Not?

Interesting juxtaposition today --

This morning I read this thought-provoking post from the impressive and wise Tara Gentile, Stop Trying to Make Money from Your Passion.  I think the woman has her head on straight and even if I don't always go 100% gangbusters for what she's saying, I still like that she's saying it.  Tara doesn't regurgitate everyone else's stuff when it comes to helping crafty peeps (and others) with their businesses.

Still, there was a little, teeny tiny part of  me that thought, "Hey, what about that old chestnut that if you do what you love the money will follow?!"  (a particularly fine chestnut indeed - in fact every single time I've ignored it, I haven't made a dime.  Or I had to beg, and plead and sell my soul to make one...)

Then I came across this video from the Wall Street Journal (!) with Artist Magda Sayeg - the "mother of yarn bombing."  She seems to purport the idea that you just do what you want to do and fame follows.  Almost miraculously.

Obviously I'm a realist.  Money comes when you have a plan.  You change the world when you intend to do so by living your truth.  Living your truth is the first part though.  All those other really awesome effects on others -- they come because you did YOUR thing.  Your way.

I think artists are generally truth seekers - looking to live by our own code.  Our truth (my truth anyway) is that if I stay true to the core of me -- the absolute highest and best -- and strive for that in my work - because I truly love it, all the side effects (of changing lives and the world) come as an afterthought almost.  But it comes.  You can't make money for sure if you don't have customers.  Still, it's important to not try to be something for the people you think should be your customers that you're not. 

Did that make sense?  I say be who you are.  Do what you love.  Observe and reflect on the way you positively affect others and the world around you.  Mix and tweak and repeat.  Build your business from there.

No comments:

Post a Comment